fot

RE: [FOT] Data acquisition

To: ryoung@navcomtech.com
Subject: RE: [FOT] Data acquisition
From: "SHANE Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 09:53:27 -0400
Randall Young wrote:

>With a local reference, we offer performance better than 1 inch.

You can do better than 1" with non-differential.  In the NSF-funded
continent-wide EarthScope Project (www.earthscope.org), we map
crustal motions with sub-cm accuracy.  We use dual-frequency
receivers and antennas with choke rings.  The antennas are
deep-braced at least 30m into bedrock so that we know we are
seeing plate motion and not the monument "falling over".
This is not real-time information, and a lot of post-processing
needs to occur, requiring more CPU than you could comfortably
fit in a car.

I do enough hi-tech stuff in my day-job.  I make it a rule to keep my
car in 1970s trim (except for the MSD, mea culpa!)
For those who wish to change the spirit of VINTAGE racing, you
may find it more fun to buy a newer
Accura/Porsche/Lexus/BMW/'Vette and play someplace else.

Shane Ingate, no cellphone, no cupholder, in Maryland
EarthScope/IRIS Director of Operations