fot

RE: [FOT] Data acquisition

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [FOT] Data acquisition
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 10:22:09 -0700
> With differential GPS, you can achieve much greater accuracy, but
> you need a fixed data reference. The DoD is putting up extra satellites
> to implement something called WAAS, which will also improve the
> accuracy ... but still. It's never going to be better than a few feet.

WAAS is up and working, has been for quite some time (although there are
still more improvements and satellites to come).  We have demonstrated
long-term accuracy using WAAS to less than a foot (1 sigma RMS), although
"advertised" is 1.5 feet.  Basically all new receivers, except the very
cheapest ones (which typically aren't new), can use WAAS/EGNOS corrections
today.

Oh, and WAAS is not a DOD project.  The FAA runs it, so GPS can provide
sufficient accuracy, redundancy and reliability to be used for IFR flight
and landing.

Even without corrections, GPS can give very good velocity and speed.
Granted most low-cost receivers don't do very well at this, but it is
possible.  And the low-cost guys will get better as they figure out that
it's just SMOP (Small Matter Of Programming), and that there is a demand for
it.

There are also other correction services available, that can be received by
the same receiver.  One such is StarFire (which my employer operates) ...
offers accuracies down to 4 inches or so.

With a local reference, we offer performance better than 1 inch.  But to
paraphrase someone, performance costs money.  How much performance do you
want ?

Randall Young
Senior Software Engineer
NavCom Technology, Inc.
A John Deere Company

    "The information contained in or attached to this message, to the extent
it is non-public, is the confidential, proprietary information of NavCom
Technology, Inc., its affiliates
        and/or subsidiaries (collectively, "NavCom") and may not be
reproduced, disclosed to any third party or used by recipient and/or the
recipient's employer (hereinafter
        "recipient"), for other than the intended purpose for which it was
provided to the recipient, or other than in accordance with the terms of any
Confidentiality or Non Disclosure
        Agreement between NavCom. and the recipient, without the prior
written approval of NavCom. If you are not the intended recipient or the
person responsible for delivering the
        electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have
received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination,
forwarding, printing, or copying of this
        electronic mail is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return
mail."