fot

Re: [FOT] Data acquisition

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [FOT] Data acquisition
From: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 08:22:04 -0700 (PDT)
> A little more about this--you can map a track by driving around the
> inside and outside edges. the GPS locates you with great accuracy.

I'll be very interested to know how this works out in reality. Autonomous
GPS accuracy is about 15' - you can't do a lot better than that with
a single receiver. That's almost the width of the racing surface!

(Google for "GPS precession" if you want to know a whole lot more
about this...)

With differential GPS, you can achieve much greater accuracy, but
you need a fixed data reference. The DoD is putting up extra satellites
to implement something called WAAS, which will also improve the
accuracy ... but still. It's never going to be better than a few feet.

Best,
chris