fot

RE: [FOT] Thoughts on a TR tow vehicle

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [FOT] Thoughts on a TR tow vehicle
From: Guyots3@wmconnect.com
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 00:29:25 EDT
In a message dated 8/15/2006 3:16:08 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-fot-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 10:47:04 -0400
> From: "John Herrera" <jrherrera90@hotmail.com>
> Subject: RE: [FOT] Thoughts on a TR tow vehicle
>
> >So what do you think might be the towing capacity of a 1967 Ford Country
> >Squire station wagon with the 390 cubic inch motor?
>
> I can comment because I spent well under the $10,000 limit.
>
> On the Coolness Gauge:
>
> Astro van:  Off the scale low
>
> '67 Country Squire: Pretty nearly pegged out
>
> John

My 2pence worth:

Chevy Astro Van: It's the work of the Devil himself I tell you!

>>>When I worked in Auto parts for 18 months, I discovered that particular
vehicle is hewn from a chunk of pure evil. The cooling system gives a
tremendous
amount of trouble and expense to it's sad owners. It is way up there on my
list of Avoid at all cost vehicles.

The only vehicle with a worse cooling system is the Jeep with 4.0 liter V6...

and the only vehicles that even come close in terms of sheer nastiness are
Ford's Taurus, Tempo and Escorts...yuk, yuk, and double yuk...

To be fair on Ford, we towed a heavy U-Haul tralier across country with my
wife's '86 Ford Econoline Camper Van on M&S truck tires, very nearly forgeot it
was there, except on ascending the highest mountain passes. We have the
Straight 6 Cylinder, 4.9 liter engine. Seems to be good for about 10mpg, empty
or
full, towing or not, uphill or on the flat...at any speed...strange but true. I
hate working on that van through the letterbox slot of a hood, but thankfully
it is very reliable and I don't often have to.

I like towing with my 97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD with V6, with has abundant
torque and a 1" lift, I think it can tow up to 5,000lb without any problem, but
can't be exact and have never been close.

Hope that helps some

Best Regards

Leon

<A