fot

Re: [FOT] Thoughts on a TR tow vehicle

To: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@autox.team.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [FOT] Thoughts on a TR tow vehicle
From: "Tim Murphy" <timmurph@fastbytes.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 18:23:37 -0500
Depending on who does the accounting, we're under the $10,000 limit set by
Jack.  (A good account never tells what the answer is, he asks what you
would like it to be!)  Anyway, we have a used 24 ft. enclosed trailer to
pull the TR-4 in.  First time out with my partners Dodge 1/2 ton and gas V-8
we got something like 6.7 MPG.  This prompted him to immediately decide we
needed a diesel 3/4 ton!  When I asked the newly wed what his wife threw at
him when he brought that subject up, he said her only comment was that it
have a crew cab so they didn't have to take 2 vehicles to the races!!  I
think he married the right girl.  So he got a 2002 3/4 ton Ford with the
turbocharged 7.3 liter diesel.  This thing has 550 Lb-Ft of torque at 1800
RPM.  Got it in Minneapolis and on the way back we think he got something
like 18 MPG for the 280 miles.  Actually, it has an SUV body on it and they
call it the Excusion, better known as the Heavy Urban Tank.  We'll see how
it pulls the trailer but I'm pretty sure it will be no problem.  Has a
transmission fluid temperature gauge with the standard towing package.
Also, we used the load leveller and it does make quite a difference, or at
least it did with the Dodge.

    Only problem is, no I can't make disparging remarks about SUV's anymore
because we have one for a tow vehicle.

Tim