fot

Re: [Fot] T50 gearbox CVAR and my GT6

To: "'Bob'" <rdavis4@cfl.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] T50 gearbox CVAR and my GT6
From: "Jim" <britbits@tiu.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 21:38:21 -0600
Ahhh... reliability.  That's where the slippery slope starts.

In autocross (I admit it, I'm from the wrong side of the tracks ;)
reliability equates to performance, ie if you know you can push your car
harder it gives you an advantage.

The same in theory applies to racing.

When I ran with CVAR in the mid 90s what we did was called "exhibition at
speed", not racing.  So, reliablity on track means lower chances for
breakdowns... less chance for accidents... good thing.  Less chance for
unfortunate incidents that could jack up the insurance.

If we're gonna call it racing, like they do now... then reliabilty is an
advantage.  So what if your checker cab is at the back of the pack... you
KNOW deep in your mind that if you have to punt your competition off the
track just short of the finish line that your bumpers will let you do so
without anyone seeing the scratches in the paint.  It's reliable.

Whereas, if we're gonna go vintage racing... well.. it should be in
something that is vintage.  Otherwise we're just running Nascar "looks like
a real car" type cars.

If I can't accept the liability of running stock Spitfire axles on the
track... then maybe I should find a car more robust.  Like a Checker Cab.

Just my .02

Cheers,

Jim
Dallas