fot

Re: [Fot] T50 gearbox CVAR and my GT6

To: "Scott Janzen" <S.Janzen@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] T50 gearbox CVAR and my GT6
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 21:26:53 -0800
I don't know guys. this all sounds like "do it this way or go club
racing". One of the things i always like about Vintage Racing is that
you can do it your own way and almost always have a race. I'm
absolutely certain that you could build a GT6 gearbox that would take
everything you threw at it and work reliably all year--right in the
original cases. All it takes is a hell of a lot of money. If that's
going to be the determinant then get comfortable with it. I know
exactly how that works. I'm occupying a little moral high ground here--
a rare thing for me. I use four speed TR3/4/6 transmissions in my
cars. I haven't really added it all up, but I wouldn't be surprised to
find I have four to five grand in each. My choice. I don't care if
someone else uses a toyota five speed, good on 'em. I'll race them.

Truth is we're all making this stuff up as we go along, and the aim is
always the same--have fun. Substituting a similar gearbox that is not
very expensive but is way more reliable is as much a way to avoid
pissing away a lot of money as it is anything else. If you can't talk
your sanctioning body into that then maybe you need a new one.

Certainly reliability is a theoretical advantage, but so what? Truth
is NONE of us are all that good. I certainly know I'm not. I'm not
contesting at the outer limits of my cars capability--far from it.
Every year I get older I suck a little more, make more mistakes, fail
to take advantage of other people's errors. I'm not racing in a place
where reliability translates into an advantage,  I'm playing with old
cars.

Miata racing is boring. Club racing is boring. Vintage racing is fun.
End of story.

On Mar 7, 2008, at 8:50 PM, Scott Janzen wrote:

> you will bust the box.  dropped mine at the starting line last
> year.  But
> it's vintage and I kind of agree, if I want day to day reliability I
> should
> have an engine closer to stock horsepower or go Miata racing.

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins
Billb@bnj.com
503.936.7660