fot

Re: [Fot] alternatives to the SCCA?

To: Jay Creel <jaxonracing@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] alternatives to the SCCA?
From: Bill Babcock <Billb@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 16:05:37 -0700
Actually, I think Jack is being brutally honest for good reasons. I've
organized a few races myself, and been involved to a degree in the
inner politics of several vintage organizations. There are good
reasons why these organizations resist the pressure of sliding the
requirements of vintage racing to later years so that various SCCA
refugees can race.

The cars that people come to see race--even the other vintage racers--
are cars from the fifties and sixties. Around 1970 wings and slicks
came in and racing changed forever. Even production cars had lots of
ground effects and aero tricks. Vintage racing has already changed a
great deal. The grand old cars don't show up as often anymore--they
are worth too much and cost too much to fix for their owners to have
them t-boned by some guy who is risking 20K in a corner VS. their
couple of million. Vintage organizations are getting tougher on their
rules, not easier. And it's for good reason. I argued the other side
long and hard--and I was wrong. It doesn't help vintage racing to
slide into the 70's, it kills it.

Vintage means Vintage. Adding cars to a group that will circulate out
front and lap every vintage car, even if they aren't scored against
them, will change the game and keep even more true vintage cars at
home. Already saw it happen. If there's enough interest and money in
it then you can certainly organize racing events that suit these
cars.  The SCCA isn't making these moves in spite of the vast amounts
of money being made in running club events that include obsolete or
low-interest cars. Here in the Northwest, Team Continental and the
ICSCC run races with over 40 racing classes. Of course you're on the
track with some of the most misbegotten iron you ever saw, but it's a
fun group.

The SCCA's move is nothing new by the way. I heard people complaining
about the exact same stuff twenty years ago.

Bill Babcock
Babcock & Jenkins
Billb@bnj.com
503.936.7660