fot

Re: [Fot] HANS Device

To: <tony@tonydrews.com>, fot <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] HANS Device
From: <dos_gusanos@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 08:29:26 -0700
I don't debate the usefulness of the HANS device.  It's a great item, and I
should have one and eventually probably will.  That said, my car, and probably
many of yours is unsafe at any speed and putting on all the upgrades suggested
here would take me out for several seasons probably not just a race, in the
meantime my prostate might explode and I would have missed a great deal of
fun.

"My local club, CSRG, does not mandate any safety devices, rather, they
are>"highly recommended" due to insurance liability implications."  I have sat
through a host of meetings with the insurance companies discussing rates and
other insurance issues.  They insure the "safest" club at the same rate that
the insure a club that doesn't require roll bars.  When 9/11 happened vintage
racing insurance rates increased by 30 percent to help pay for that.  When
someone dies at a vintage event, the rates stay fairly flat.

Two pepole were killed at a vintage race a few years ago when their car
flipped during the lunch time touring session.  They were wearing neither the
HANS device nor a roll bar.  It would make sense to me to ban these activities
altogether before requiring drivers to wear the HANS device.  But that's the
way we feed new people the vintage racing bug.  I've witnessed lots of
incidents of wrecks with guys in their street cars at driver's schools where
they were just f'ing lucky.

I think that when you get a guy in a car with all the safety equipment on, he
thinks he's bulletproof and will probably take chances not taken by the guy
who is perhaps racing with a lap belt as his only safety device.  The
statistics do certainly support this assertion as the clubs with the fewest
incidents seem to be those with less restrictive safety rules.

What am I up to 15 cents now?..................................Cheers Henry
Morrison