fot

Re: [Fot] HANS Device

To: dos_gusanos@msn.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] HANS Device
From: William G Rosenbach <wgrosenbach@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:07:27 -0700
>>> Henry Morrison wrote:
I think that when you get a guy in a car with all the safety equipment
on, he
thinks he's bulletproof and will probably take chances not taken by the
guy
who is perhaps racing with a lap belt as his only safety device.

I tend to agree with Henry. It was pointed out in, I believe a PBS
program on automotive safety; if you take two identical cars, give one to
a person who is told "anything you do in this car, no matter how minor,
will kill or seriously injure you"; and the other car to a person that is
told that "no matter what you do in this car, the safety systems will
protect you from any injury in any situation"; those two cars will not be
operated in the same fashion.

In the real racing world, where a driver is paid to operate a vehicle on
the razor's edge at all times, where there is something tangible to
someone 'on-the-line' at all times; there are no safety equipment
standards that are too much. In Vintage Racing, even though anything that
can happen, could happen, there is nothing truly 'on-the-line', we are
there for fun, not glory & prizes; and should be able to exercise
restraint and good judgement. Still, there are those who cannot do that.
They are the folks who are certain that they and their car can clip the
apex of the hairpin flat in fourth having never lifted or braked. They
know who they are and should make the investment. Equally important is
that others know who the crazies are, so as to stay out of their way, and
not to get wound up with them. If we keep heading for the completely safe
world, we will soon be driving in 'Bear Proof Suits'.
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=bear+proof+suit&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&co
p=mss&ei=UTF-8

Mandating greater costs to racers keeps new people away from the sport,
and trying to keep up all the mandates can eat up some racers' annual
budget quickly, keeping them off track. A couple of years of paying not
to race, and they are gone.

Eat right, exercise, die anyway.
Bill