fot

Re: [Fot] chevy con-rods

To: Mark Pendergrass <mpendy@dishmail.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] chevy con-rods
From: Larry Young <cartravel@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 10:55:58 -0500
The rods I used are made by Skat for 2.10 inch crank pins and 6.25
length.  You can find bearings for as small as 2.00.  I modified
(welded) the crankshaft by making the bearing journal narrower.   An old
post by Greg Solow indicated modifying the crank to increase the radius
where they always crack is a good idea, so I did that at the same time.
The only problem with this was that welding on the crank made it
difficult to straighten for grinding and nitriding.  You could also have
a Moldex made for Chevy rods.  I was having custom pistons made by
Wiseco and had them made for the chevy wrist pin (no extra cost).

I don't like the way that chevy rod bearings are not symmetric
(side-to-side) because they are designed for one side to be against the
neighboring rod (no radius).  I think a better bet are the Skat rods for
a VW Jetta.  They are a bit longer than stock TR4, but that is not a
problem if you are having customs pistons made.

Other possibilities for rods are the Ford Triton V8 and (believe it are
not) 7 inch rods for the Ford Flathead V8 (very light).
Larry Young