fot

Re: [Fot] Small Bore Racers

To: "FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Small Bore Racers
From: "Terry Stetler" <tlizzard@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 10:55:32 -0400
Seal-send-time: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 10:55:32 -0400 FILETIME=[2B1B68E0:01CF9861]
As has been said, the Miata is what's needed to win in SCCA, and that is the
way SCCA wants it.

The Club cannot make money from companies that no longer exist. (Standard
Triumph, BMC, BLMC, JRT).

Like all automotive competition endeavours, new, young, competitors are needed
to keep the membership roles full and also the grids.

Younger members want to drive modern, lower cost/maintenance cars.  Fiddling
with grenade motor Frog Eye Sprites and Spitfires is not in their play book.

They want a car they can flog all season and concentrate on driving it, not
rebuilding it every other race to be competitive at the National level.

Which bring us to the other issue with the cars that we like.   Spares.

There is not an infinite number of usable engine blocks out there for any of
the cars we love.  Ask anyone competing with a an FWB Climax engined car.

While certainly there are many more Spits, Sprites, MGBs and TRs, the number
of parts gets smaller every year.  This makes them more expensive.

There is no magic to this equation.

Also look at it from the vintage racer's perspective.   To build a front of
the grid Spitfire will cost every bit as much as a TR3 through 6 car.

Most guys will choose the faster car.

It's human nature.

Terry Stetler
fot@autox.team.net