fot

Re: [Fot] Small Bore Racers

To: marty <trmarty@hotmail.com>, FOT <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Small Bore Racers
From: Edward Dunn <edunn@qualityfueltrailers.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 21:12:37 -0700
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
As has already been said, folks tend to like cars that were cool when they
were at that coming of age time, teen years. At 56, I'm considered a fairly
young MG TD owner. In my case, that sweet spot for cars is right around 1970.
How many younger folks do you see interested in Model A's, Packards, etc. Not
many.

I think the future for racing any MG, Triumph, Morgan, etc. is in vintage.
Even then, I see the huge Huffaker transporters (and similar) and their very
expensive to keep MGB, corvette's, etc,. Far out of the league of the typical
MG/Triumph vintage racer. Considering what is needed to run competitively in
SCCA, I just don't think it's a viable proposition for our vintage cars.

Owning several vintage British cars, including a handful of race cars, without
a doubt a Miata or similar is better for most racers. We just happen to dig
the vintage scene, and have no interest in SCCA type racing.

I would expect to see continued decrease of vintage British cars involved in
SCCA racing. Encourage those folks to come vintage race, where it could be
argued that's where they really belong, as none are newer than 1980.

We'll pass along a fine vintage sports car to each of our kids, and grandkids.
I'll provide any of them with a car & support to go vintage racing.  I think
that's the way to keep it going forward, along with being open and friendly to
all who show an interest at the track, in our neighborhood, etc.

Last little point; take one of your vintage race cars to local car shows.
You'll stand among the sea of 55-57 Chevy's, Corvette's & Porsche's. Invite
those interested to actually touch and sit in your car. Fire it up maybe. Give
out business cards, and have them call you if they have any interest in
getting involved. You'll create quite a stir, compared to the bozos with the
"Don't Touch" signs all over their cars.

Ed Dunn

West Coast Vintage Racing
Penngrove CA 94951

760-492-3814