fot

[Fot] History's Mysteries...Spitfire Duel Master Plumbing...

Subject: [Fot] History's Mysteries...Spitfire Duel Master Plumbing...
From: duncan.charlton54 at gmail.com (Duncan Charlton)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 21:09:54 -0600
Set up as in the photo the balance bar could bend or fracture if the pedal is
pushed hard enough.  If the unused master cylinder is filled with fluid its
piston will not move at all so the balance bar between the two MC?s will be put
under a lot of bending stress when the pedal is pushed ? one piston moves and
the other one doesn?t, and the pedal would move a lesser distance than if both
cylinders are being used.  If the unused MC is empty, the piston will easily
bottom out, putting stress on the cross balance bar for the same reason as the
other scenario.  Since the pedal would move a much greater distance with no
fluid in the unused MC, I assume it was left filled.  Come to think of it,
though, leaving the right ratio of air and fluid in the unused MC would allow
it to behave like a spring and put a normal level of stress on the balance bar.

Duncan