Re: [Healeys] Napa fuel pump

To: Al Fuller <alfuller194@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Napa fuel pump
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 17:49:27 -0700
Cc: AH Mail List <healeys@autox.team.net>

--------------BE78B0971E8BED8CFAC542F5

Thanks, Al. I wondered if the Walbro would work, but now it goes in the
sh*tcan.
bs

On 6/13/2021 5:11 PM, Al Fuller wrote:
> Bob, my car came with a walbro installed (and a spare). The ethonal in
> the fuel dissolved the rubber diaphragm- first on one then on the
> other. I bought rebuild kits, but they didn't last.
>
> I called Walbro, and they asked 'what the heck are you using these
> on'? When I told him a road vehicle, he said give it up. Diesel boats
> are where their using them now.
>
> I asked whether they would have a diaphragm that would work with
> ethanol, and they said no plans to do it.
>
> On Sun, Jun 13, 2021, 1:07 PM Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net
>
>     I have a pump by Walbro I bought years ago and never used. It's
>     the approximate size and shape of an SU and, apparently, it uses
>     points (but may be solid state). Anyone tried these? Came across this:
>
>     https://walbrofuelpumps.com/why-fuel-pumps-fail
>     <https://walbrofuelpumps.com/why-fuel-pumps-fail>
>
>     ps. Why are we discussing this? According to some, SU pumps never
>     fail and last forever (I'm just an unlucky SOB ;).
>
>     bs
>

>     On 6/13/2021 9:33 AM, Michael Salter via Healeys wrote:
>>     Interestingly enough Michael, AHX12 (in which you have competed
>>     for many hours) runs 2 "cube" type pumps and they have proven to
>>     be totally reliable.
>>     I wonder if some of the problems that have been reported may be
>>     attributable to incorrect installation.
>>     As I recall the instructions provided with these pumps clearly
>>     indicate that they MUST be installed at an angle of around 45
>>     degrees on a vertical surface with the outlet above the inlet.
>>     I have seen many installed incorrectly.

>>     On Sat., Jun. 12, 2021, 9:32 a.m. Michael Oritt via Healeys,
>>
>>         Jim--
>>
>>         I use a double-headed SU pump on my 100 because of the
>>         redundancy it offers.  However, were I fitting an aftermarket
>>         pump to it I would use a Carter 4570, which I use on both of
>>         my race cars that have Weber DCOE's and thus require low fuel
>>         pressure (2-4 psi) as do the SU's on my Healey.   I am NOT a
>>         fan of the FACET cube pumps (relabelled by NAPA and many
>>         other sellers).  The Carter has never let me down, this under
>>         racing conditions, etc.
>>
>>         Best--Michael Oritt
>>
>>         On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 8:43 AM Jim Werner via Healeys
>>
>>             Does anyone have the part number for the NAPA fuel pump
>>             that is low pressure and suitable for use on Healeys?

> [...]

  <head>
  </head>
    Thanks, Al. I wondered if the Walbro would work, but now it goes in
    the sh*tcan.<br>
    bs<br>
cite="mid:CADkpZwFDzq=tcwon3=FcLQV1DVXEyP68ct=vgrW3LSWyBj_Zfw@mail.gmail.com">
        spare). The ethonal in the fuel dissolved the rubber diaphragm-
        first on one then on the other. I bought rebuild kits, but they
        didn't last.
          are you using these on'? When I told him a road vehicle, he
          said give it up. Diesel boats are where their using them now.</div>
          would work with ethanol, and they said no plans to do it.</div>
          Bob Spidell &lt;<a href="mailto:bspidell@comcast.net";
            moz-do-not-send="true">bspidell@comcast.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
          .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
            used. It's the approximate size and shape of an SU and,
            apparently, it uses points (but may be solid state). Anyone
            tried these? Came across this:<br>
              target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"
moz-do-not-send="true">https://walbrofuelpumps.com/why-fuel-pumps-fail</a><br>
            ps. Why are we discussing this? According to some, SU pumps
            never fail and last forever (I'm just an unlucky SOB ;).<br>
            bs<br>
                  have competed for many hours) runs 2 "cube" type pumps
                  and they have proven to be totally reliable.
                    have been reported may be attributable to incorrect
                    installation. </div>
                    with these pumps clearly indicate that they MUST be
                    installed at an angle of around 45 degrees on a
                    vertical surface with the outlet above the inlet.</div>
                    incorrectly.</div>
                      2021, 9:32 a.m. Michael Oritt via Healeys, &lt;<a
                        href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
                        target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"
                        moz-do-not-send="true">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
                      wrote:<br>
                      .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
style="color:#3333ff">Jim--</div>
                          use a double-headed SU pump on my 100 because
                          of the redundancy it offers.  However, were I
                          fitting an aftermarket pump to it I would use
                          a Carter 4570, which I use on both of my race
                          cars that have Weber DCOE's and thus require
                          low fuel pressure (2-4 psi) as do the SU's on
                          my Healey.   I am NOT a fan of the FACET cube
                          pumps (relabelled by NAPA and many other
                          sellers).  The Carter has never let me down,
                          this under racing conditions, etc.</div>
style="color:#3333ff">Best--Michael
                          Oritt </div>
                          12, 2021 at 8:43 AM Jim Werner via Healeys
                          &lt;<a href="mailto:healeys@autox.team.net";
                            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"

moz-do-not-send="true">healeys@autox.team.net</a>&gt;
                          wrote:<br>
                          style="margin:0px 0px 0px
                          0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
                          rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
                            NAPA fuel pump that is low pressure and
                            suitable for use on Healeys?<br>
                                Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"><span
                                  style="font-weight:bold">Jim Werner</span>
                          Support Team.Net <a
                            href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
                            rel="noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer"
                            target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
                          Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
                          Archive: <a
                            href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
                            rel="noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer"
                            target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
                            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"

moz-do-not-send="true">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
                          <a

                            rel="noreferrer noreferrer noreferrer"
                            target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/healeys</a><br>
                          Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michael.oritt@gmail.com";
moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/michael.oritt@gmail.com</a><br>
          Support Team.Net <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
          Suggested annual donation  $12.75<br>
          Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys";
            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/healeys</a>
            noreferrer" target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
            rel="noreferrer"
moz-do-not-send="true">Healeys@autox.team.net</a><br>
            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"

          Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/alfuller194@gmail.com";
            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"

moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/healeys/alfuller194@gmail.com</a><br>

--------------BE78B0971E8BED8CFAC542F5--

--===============7960107370901130520==