Re: Transmissions

To: John Beckett <johnbeck@blueridge.cc.nc.us>
Subject: Re: Transmissions
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:08:48 -0700
Hey Guy & Gals,
I don't claim to be an expert on this transmission thing. I ran a
three-speed in the roadster years ago. Lou Bingham ran a early
four-speed Hydramatic behind a 303 cu. in. Olds in his roadster, but on
occasion changed to a three-speed manual trans late in the week with
increased speeds. Many of the lakesters ran one gear off the push bar
with lots of clutch action to get it up to speed. Some have run fluid
drives that worked similar to variable pitch props, same RPM from start
to finish. All these combinations had a measure of success. I think
everyone has to see what works in their unique circumstance.
It is interesting to read all the different points of view. I'm
learning. You can teach an old dog new tricks.

Even in the 1/4 mile we used to shift short to have more high track for
the best top speeds.

Tom