Re: Horsepower and Wings

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Horsepower and Wings
From: "Lawrence E. Mayfield" <mayfield@traveller.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 17:09:13
Hey, you guys talking wings or spoilers? Wings are supposed to be exactly
like offered from factory. Spoilers are a different thing...as you point
out to me Keith..

mayf

At 03:18 PM 6/9/99 -0500, Keith Turk wrote:
>I agree and that is why we are going to take a second deck lid with a Wing
>that meets the requirements as well as allows the air to close a little
>later behind the car...
>
>it has to be adjustable.... I think. to allow for the minimum settings...
>
>We learned a good bit this weekend about driving the car with some info we
>downloaded after the passes.. I was a little to hard on the throttle during
>our first meet with the Motor and Brad was a little soft....This meet we
>were much better... though his shifts still took
>
>The Salt is going to require a ton of finesse... I can see that already...
>but we still have to put the power down....
>
>Speaking of Spinning... I suppose I ought to consider a track bar to aid in
>locating the rear end and body... as a helper... in the event of a spin...
>
>Keith
>----------
>> From: dahlgren <dahlgren@uconect.net>
>> To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
>> Subject: Re: Horsepower and Wings
>> Date: Wednesday, June 09, 1999 1:49 PM
>>
>> A wing can be adjusted to give a lot or almost no down force and the
>> drag at the low settings is very slight. it also does not add very much
>> drag until you are going very fast. ballast hurts you every where. It
>> takes more time and distance to get moving and adds a lot of rolling
>> resistance. At least my way of looking at it.. At 1600 lbs and 425 hp
>> traction has been no problem with no wing so far it all depends on how
>> YOU drive it....
>> Dave Dahlgren
>>
>> Keith Turk wrote:
>> >
>> > I was talking with Darrell off line here a bit ago and a thought came
>to my
>> > mind.....
>> >
>> > I am dead set against running a wing on my car if I can get away with
>it...
>> > (based on stability at speed)
>> >
>> > anykind of aerodynamic tool which Produces downforce also produces
>drag...
>> > and to move drag takes HP...
>> >
>> > I heard a comment here a couple of weeks ago about us having more HP
>then
>> > the traction allows... is this the case out there for most of you?
>> >
>> > Keith Turk
>> > Austin Healey 100, Bugeye, Box sprites, Bonneville Camaro ( Land Speed
>> > Racer)

L.E. Mayfield
124 Maximillion Drive
Madison, Al. 35758-8171
1-256-837-1051

http://www.hsv.tis.net/~mayfield

DrMayf@AOL.com
mayfield@traveller.com <<<<preferred

Bonneville Land Speed Racer, '66 Hydroplane Drag Boat (390 FE)