RE: Inner Tubes and Wheels

To: "'Vaughn Rockney'" <vintagegarage@erols.com>,
Subject: RE: Inner Tubes and Wheels
From: "Ferguson, Darrell" <dfergus@bactc.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:26:18 -0700
Both the Goodyear front runners, and the 8.20x8.00x15 super speedway tires
are designed to be run without inner tubes. Goodyear strongly recommends
against using inner tubes in these applications, especially at the speeds
they are rated for (up to 300 mph according to Carroll Shelby Racing Ent.
and Goodyear ). It is important however that the tire cords are oriented
properly. There is a small yellow circle with an x in it on all Goodyear
high speed tires. I forget whether they need to face left or right, but all
"X-ray" marks as they are called, must face the same side of the car. In
other words for your front tires, one x-ray mark needs to be on the inside,
one on the outside. From what Goodyear told me last year, this is very
important since the cord design dictates the amount of load the tires can
safely handle.

Darrell Ferguson
BLACK RADON ENGINEERING
# 939 BBFALT