RE: Welding and Welders

To: "'dferguso@ebmail.gdeb.com'" <dferguso@ebmail.gdeb.com>,
Subject: RE: Welding and Welders
From: "Ferguson, Darrell" <dfergus@bactc.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 08:22:15 -0700
It's actually a Lincoln SP 125 plus. It rocks ! I've put plenty of wire
through it, built the entire chassis with it, and no complaints. My
recommendations for setting up the unit would be to get a large bottle of
your 75/25 mix (CO2-Argon a.k.a. Stargon, Stargold, Goldgas..) Get a good
flow meter (not the BS little regulator they recommend for it) and use 10
lb. spools of wire. When you set the welder up, make sure it's on a good
circuit that has at least 10 gauge wire running from your breaker panel to
the outlet, preferably a dedicated circuit just for the welder. Don't use an
extension cord if humanly possible, if you do, use the largest gauge
extension you can find. Believe it or not, the current capabilities of your
home or shop electrical system dramatically effect the quality of your
welds. For pretty much anything you'll ever weld on a race car, from
sheetmetal to rollcage tubing, this little guy smokes every other compact
mig I've ever used. As to flux core machines, I wouldn't trust my life to a
weld from one of those units. Visually the welds look OK from the fluxcore
unit, but when the Mig is dialed in, you'll have a tough time telling some
of the Mig welds on my chassis from Heliarc.

        Darrell ferguson
        BLACK RADON ENGINEERING
        # 939 BBFALT
        http://my.cybersoup.com/blackradon