RE: Welding and Welders

To: "'Dick Jurkowski'" <lsr_man@yahoo.com>, dferguso@ebmail.gdeb.com,
Subject: RE: Welding and Welders
From: "David Haile (ICG Software)" <dhaile@woodward.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 10:45:09 -0500
(I'm a lurker and electric land-speed wannabe)

Just a note on welding aluminum --> While it may look pretty when you're
done, it isn't anywhere near its strength capability until you get it heat
treated after you've screwed up the molecular structure with the welds.
Unless you are wealthy, you can't do the heat treating at home.  It is a
several hour process in a huge oven involving very high temperatures and a
certain cool-down cycle.  It is also different for each type of aluminum.
Personally, I would use steel because it retains more of its strength when
welded.  You can test this yourself by cutting and rewelding an aluminum rod
and comparing the strength to an uncut/unwelded rod.

David Haile
Ft. Collins, CO