Roadster Rules

To: dwarner@electrorent.com
Subject: Roadster Rules
From: Dick Jurkowski <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 13:16:38 -0700 (PDT)
Dan, I sent the following questions to a B-ville
racer and he recommended that I ask you, as you
are "Dah Man" when it comes to this stuff.

"OK, I need some help building my roadster. But
nobody even has to get their hands dirty to give
me this kind of help.   This project is one of
those that goes through a continuous
metamorphosis of changes because moving bracket
"a" two inches to clear the steering box ends up
having the motor moved, which means the firewall
won't work and then the first thing you know,
it's all the way back to repositioning the rear
axle - - -I'm sure you all know how it goes.
I started out building a Street Roadster.  I
began with a fabricated 2/4 tube frame that a
previous owner had started to build, a 1948 Ford
motor, and an original steel and rust 1924
Plymouth roadster body.  As work progressed, and
piece by piece, I got everything in place where I
wanted it, I ended up with the body so low that I
can't run rear fenders unless I run lawn mower
wheels and tires - and that ain't an option.  So,
I figured, "OK", I'll slip the whole thing up
into Gas Roadster class.  All goes well until I
re-visit the rules today and realize that GR
cutoff date is 1928, leaving my 1924 Mopar out in
the cold.  Now, I really don't want to go all the
way into Modified Roadster just because my body
is a couple of years too old, and four inches too
low, so I'm looking for options.  The rules for
SR basically prohibit body modifications, but I
would really like to go into that class.  The
hold-back is the SR requirement to run rear
fenders.  Since the fenders are bolt-on items,
and not really part of the body, does the rule on
prohibition of body modification also prohibit
repositioning the rear fenders higher on the
body? Also, I don't have any 1924 Plymouth
fenders.  Even if I can mount the fenders higher,
can I use other fenders like easier to find Fords
or Chev, or plain after-markets? Could they even
be "cycle-mounted"?  I'm still at the point where
I can do some cutting and re-welding on the frame
to get it back up high enough to get fenders on
the body, but I hate to do that if there's
another way. Besides, it's not even an option if
I have to have 1924 Plymouth fenders which I
seriously doubt I could ever find.  Is going MR
my only route here?
I'd sure appreciate any comments and guidance
from anybody familiar with complying with these
particular sections of the rules."

His answer was that I could use other fenders,
such as Model A, and that I could mount them
higher on the body to clear the tires, but that I
should contact you for difinitive guidance.  Can
you provide any further input on this?  I'd sure
like to be "rule-ready" when I take this thing
out for the first time. I'd hate to spend all the
bread making a long trip, renting motel rooms,
buying meals, etc,  and then not be able to race
'cause I made some stupid mistake.

=====
Dick J - - ECTA #72
G/FCC  - - XF/GR