Re: Big Engine/Small Engine

To: Jane McMeekin <jmcmeekin@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Big Engine/Small Engine
From: Carl Dreher <focusrsh@arn.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 12:15:41 -0500
Just my 2 cents on this...

Although I love the sheer speed and power of the unlimited class LSR
cars, my favorites have always been the tiny streamliners running
itsy-bitsy engines.  Getting the most from the least.

I raced a 125cc Cagiva at Bonneville in '88 and took a the production
class record.  We were one of the slowest things that week at 93 MPH,but
had a blast.

A few years ago I went to the NSU motorcycle museum in Germany and they
have a VERY nice display of their two Bonneville racers.  Those two
machines till hold the 50cc and 125cc streamliners records.  That was
over 40 years ago!

By the way, the LSR museum in Wendover had a 50cc streamliner on display
that looked like a large pill on bicycle wheels, with a long stinger
exhaust sticking out the back.  (It never set any record.)  It was
written up in Rod and Custom Builder about 30 years ago.  Anyone know
what happened to that vehicle now that the museum closed?

- Carl Dreher