Re: Flatheads Etc.

To: V4GR@aol.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Flatheads Etc.
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 21:07:17 EST
In a message dated 11/08/1999 5:34:48 PM Pacific Standard Time, V4GR@aol.com
writes:

<<
 There are books on building flatmotors that you can buy from Amazon.com. My
 advise to you would be to get a GMC if you want to run in the vintage motor
 classes or maybe a Vintage 4 legal block. I have never understood why people
 ever tried to use flathead Fords for race motors.   Rich Fox  record holder
 Bonneyville-El Mirage- and Muroc. all with overhead valves.

Rich,
    Some of us just love pain and work. We also have preferences and loves
that we acquired as kids and couldn't shake even if we wanted to.
    To run any of the X classes is a helluva lot more work than competing in
the modern-engine classes. It's a labor of love and some of us love the old
Flatties we grew up with while others have an attraction to the beefier OHV
Jimmys.
    When SCTA broke the "X" classes down into XF and XO they were recognizing
the obvious fact that there was a disparity between the Flatty and the GMC.
There is also a disparity between the X classes and the V4 engine class
(Don't tell Roy Creel that he shouldn't go as fast as a Flatty or GMC).
    I for one have always been a V8 fan. If I had to give up my Ardun I'd
probably find another hobby.
    Remember Rich, "different-strokes-for-different-folks"............Ardun
Doug