Re: Animal magnetism

To: crothfuss@coastalnet.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Animal magnetism
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 20:35:48 EST
In a message dated 11/11/1999 4:11:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,
crothfuss@coastalnet.com writes:

<<
 List,

   Sorry I don't have any input to offer on spoilers right now.  I've enjoyed
 the discussion, but I figured it was time to inject something new.  Lets
 talk about bird strikes.  I'm sure any pilots on the list are familiar with
 this threat to aircraft, but its begun to plague me on the ground.  The last
 three events I've attended at Maxton I either hit birds or came way too
 close.  I'm beginning to wonder if it's not just something about my car
 attracting them since nobody else seems to have this problem.      Worst of
 all, I've started to attract other flying critters!  Last night on the way
 home, as I passed under the only street light on a long stretch of rural two
 lane I hit a bat.  Now how many people can honestly say they have ever hit a
 bat with their car?!
 I'm starting to get real nervous when I see flocks of geese.  Are birds ever
 a concern at Bonneville or other LSR venues?

 Chuck Rothfuss
 ECTA #510

Group,
    First we have to decide if we will use a "Standard FAA Bird". If I can
remember from my working days (before joining the ranks of the "Nations
Unemployed") prior to 1990 a "FAA Bird", the standard for testing heated
aircraft windshields (as used in transport-type aircraft) was a 4 lb bird
traveling at 200 knots, or was it a 200 lb bird traveling at 4 knots. Keith,
you're current in this type of thing. Help us out.
                                                    Ardun Doug