Re: More Points computation ideas

To: Dick Jurkowski <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: More Points computation ideas
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 13:03:27 -0800
Group:
Since I am not presently running your ECTA meets, maybe I have no
business jumping in here, but I just want to make some points for your
consideration.

First, I guess I don't get this going up in class with a smaller engine.
If engine displacement is the determining factor for class (A, B, C,
etc.) designation, how can a smaller engine be entered in a larger
class? My understanding of the SCTA rules is that the engine is measured
to determine if it is a legal engine in that class. In the rules for
record engine measurement says, "Measurement may be made with a SCTA
approved displacement device if the engine displacement is NOT within 3%
of the upper or lower cubic inch break for the class." To me this says,
If you don't fit within the upper and lower limits of the class, no
record.

Secondly, I think that you are setting yourself up for trouble down the
road if you don't adhere to some rigid set of standards. I can remember
setting a record at Bonneville in the D/GR class that was a couple of
miles per hour faster than the C/GR record. We also qualified faster
than "C" class that year. As for open minimums, I don't know, it seems
to me that a record that means anything has to surpass some reasonable
speed. Particularly if there is a point system in place, reasonable
minimums need to be set so that it is fair to the people competing
against established records.

The 200 MPH thing is a different story. The rules you set everyone lives
by. I believe, to enter the Bonneville 200 MPH Club originally, just a
time in excess of 200 MPH was all that was needed. As time progressed
they changed the rules.

I don't agree that by making it easy to get a record that you increase
your attendance or entries, if that is true, then the records overall
will have less meaning.

Again, I'm not presuming to tell you how to organize ECTA, just some
things to think about while you proceed.

Tom, Redding CA - 1 PM PST