Re: Electronics vs. old way

To: Beth Butters <bbutters@dmi.net>
Subject: Re: Electronics vs. old way
From: dahlgren <dahlgren@uconect.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 07:19:06 -0500
With this line of reasoning would you need a class for one of those new
screw type blowers? They cost a bunch and are so much better...Or maybe
roller cams... the new stuff is $$$$ and makes a ton more than your old
flat tappet cam.. Progress,  I think, is the operative word. The
electronics are cheaper in the long run by far.. Lean out one engine and
you have paid for the electronics. I have seen the weather change from
one end of the course to another and certainly while waiting in line to
make a pass. It is 5 miles away to where you get off the power. Then
there are the endless 'tune up' runs that are made by the folks in the
hilborn camp. Lots of time on an engine and not even racing it yet.  If
you cut to the chase I think we all refer to this as 'Land Speed Record
Racing' not what can I build in my garage for little or nothing and set
a record.  I do realize that everyone has a budget no matter how large
or small and speed costs money so how fast would you like to go? If
anyone really wants to know what it takes to get into electronics that
will get it done without emptying you wallet e-mail me off list...It may
not be as bad as you you think especially if you do not have a ton of
stuff to pull off the car to begin with.  In the long run this is called
progress...... We use an extremely simple system on the lakester that
runs the fuel,ignition,nitrous,rev limiter and shift light.. cost for
the electronics is around 2k and never made a tune up pass after coming
off the dyno at sea level. I realize that this is a 'pinto' size engine
but it has been over 230 also....Never had a failure from the electronic
stuff either.. The whole thing is an attitude issue also. I do remember
very well being told that we run all that 'chicken sh#t' electronics
stuff many times by all the old salts. The pleasure of breaking their
record by 40 + mph made it all worth hearing............ In racing
progress and new thinking always wins. That's what we are all here for
yes ?

Dave Dahlgren
Engine Management Systems

Beth Butters wrote:

> ----------

at!
> isfying results  and electronics  is here and now and the future, I just feel
> its two different ball games, maybe its okay if  we go the way of Vintage
>racing  someday.  I've been crewing on Bob Ragsdales 53 stude CBG/alt for the
>last few years which he has really worked to get the record in the class. In
>l996 we qualified on an open record just in front of  David Parks  tubocarged
>early Camaro, we broke and he set the record at 225, fought on for a couple of
>years and along comes Krugals awesome car  which puts the record where no
>Studebaker is likely to ever go. So  its to D class last year and along comes
>John Rain who sets the record at something like 247, about dreamable max for
>Bobs car with its now near state of the art dialed in  injected, intercooled
>671 supercharged chev with electronic surveillance. So off to another class
>hopping some  super sleek  tubo'd car doesn't get to the line before he has a
>chance.  I hate to see cars like this disappear  like the flath!
ea!