Re: Electronics vs. old way

To: dferguso@ebmail.gdeb.com
Subject: Re: Electronics vs. old way
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 14:16:16 -0800
Group,
I have to side with the techies. I have been in the auto repair business
for 40 years and there is one thing that I know for sure...the engine is
still a air pump with fuel and ignition applied to the mix. Electronics
don't do anything that you can't do manually, it just makes it easier to
get, and maintain, the right combination.

I seriously doubt that records are going to blown away by the new
control technology. If I had my choice, and I guess I do, I would first
spend my money on information gathering, rather than the control,
technology.

Maybe a good example would be to look at McDonald Pitts year. If they
had had a manual set up on the nitrous, rather than a computer, they
possibly would have been the first to top 300 MPH. Their computer failed
to function Speedweek, I'm not sure whether it was working at the Finals
or not.

Tom, Redding CA 2:15 PM PST