Re: Pistons?

To: dferguso@ebmail.gdeb.com
Subject: Re: Pistons?
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 18:29:50 -0700
List,
This discussion brings to mind the violent comments heard when they ran the
gas turbine cars at Indy in the 60's.  With the change from front engined
roadsters to rear engined, F1 influenced, green, non-Offenhauser, race cars
the feelings were incredibly strong with varying degrees of acceptance.
I admire the determination and talent it took for Richard Noble to get his
record, even to the point of being smart enough to swallow his ego and give
the driving "chores" to someone familiar with jet aircraft at sonic plus
speeds.  I'm glad Andy Green didn't run at Bonneville after hearing what the
Thrust II did to the surface of the lake bed when the sonic shock wave made
scrambled eggs of a 100 yard wide swath of the ground along his path.  I'm
still happy that the wheel driven 'liners are doing their thing at the salt.
 442 mph is a fast run for Nolan White, Al Teague has gone out the back door
at about that speed, other new cars from Marlo Treit and Skip Hedrich and
the Burklands 441 are all contenders.  What a great time for racing fans who
love ultra-fast, piston powered, wheel driven cars.  You know Don Vesco is
going to go faster and I'll cheer him on too.  I'm just glad there are
different classes.  Oh yes, the Summers Brothers still hold their 34 year
old FIA record for multiple engined cars too, and I'll cheer Tom Burkland on
as well.  We just need thirteen miles of course like we used to have ...
save the salt!  I'm off the monthly USFRA meeting.
Wes in SLC