Re: Anybody Home ?

To: richk@sparta-junction.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Anybody Home ?
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 16:54:48 EST
In a message dated 02/06/2000 12:00:43 PM Pacific Standard Time,
richk@sparta-junction.com writes:

<<
     This came about because someone has a fuel cell for sale on Ebay. The
fuel
 cell in question is an RCI unit and it's polypropylene with foam fillers.
Before
 I put a bid on it I checked the rule book (2000 edition) to see what is
 considered safe & legal. Section III-9.0 covers fuel systems and states out
 right that plastic fuel lines are not permitted. Tank material isn't
mentioned
 at all. This type of tank is approved in many racing organizations though
some
 do require that the tank be inside a metal can; which RCI also sells.
Probably
 high contact racing.

      Anyone know  the ruling on these tanks?

     Rich

Rich,
    I have a plastic-type fuel cell in my XXF/FMR that passed SCTA tech in
1999 with no problems.
    I caution you, however, about the sponge-type anti-sloshing compound that
the manufacturer puts inside the cell.
#1. It has a prescribed life, beyond which it should be changed. Changing the
stuff is a real chore.

#2. It will sometimes break down when exposed to alky and nitro, making a
real mess out of your fuel system.

#3. As best as I can determine, the filler is not required by SCTA.

                                                Ardun Doug in CA