Re: Sanctioning

To: "Wester S Potter" <wspotter@jps.net>,
Subject: Re: Sanctioning
From: "LandSpeed Louise" <lanspeed@west.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 13:07:51 -0800
Hey, Wes . . .

Sheesh, we're are on the same side.

My comments are from a historical, non-emotional perspective to remind
Malcolm of the FIA class records in addition to the absolute record.

I believe, very strongly, that what land speed racers do on the salt DOES
MATTER to those not involved in the sport and is not, as you say, academic.
It is for those people that I wrote Bonneville Salt Flats, that they may
also learn of the speed deeds set by many an unknown, great American Hero
and Heroine.

Recognition, regardless of its source, is a potent elixir for the human
spirit. It is that spirit that drives some racers to persevere toward a
seemingly unattainable goal -- the list is too long and everyone has their
favorites.

>From a political point, land speed racers may not want but need outside
recognition if they hope to defend the salt from industrial encroachment
(God Bless Save the Salt),  government apathy, or visitor destruction. The
more the general public know and respects what is accomplished on the salt,
the greater the chance to preserve the salt for posterity. In the end, we
only protect what we love.

The FIA -- snobs/greedy bastards/accepted authority -- possess a heritage
that some racers wish to become part of while others do not. I respect the
sentiments of both.

Does the FIA put much time into keeping the classes in step with land speed
racing? Not from what I can see, but the number of classes and categories
are exhausting and the beg the question, "Are they all necessary?" Probably
only to those who are competing in the respective class. Again, we only care
about what we love.

When the Shadoff Special nailed FIA records back in the 50's the entire hot
rod community was uplifted, validated and enjoyed an immediate, new-found
respect. something the AAA Contest Board was loathe to do prior to the
setting of the records. Ask Fred Carrillo if he would do it again if given
the chance to prove the worth of the hand-crafted hot rod, or Bill Summers.

As for the timing validity, it is a given that today's technology puts
precise measurement into the hands of the masses. What counts is the
integrity of those who watch the clocks and record the deeds. Here I can
testify that SCTA/BNI is above reproach.

Safety is also a given, but somewhat controversial. What one may consider
safe, another might deem a death trap. But is it not the exceptions I wish
to spotlight, but rather the rules and recognition from within as well as
without. Recognition for safety from the tech staff of a given sanctioning
body validates what one has built.

It also gives a measure of confidence and safety to the spectator watching
speed events that the vehicle is not an immediate danger to them. Further,
it shows the various governing authorities that the sanctioning bodies are
conducting themselves in a responsible manner -- even if no one at the that
authority "recognizes" a given speed record.

You raise and interesting point about "ANY accurately timed speed over an
accurately measured distance within defined class rules is a WORLD RECORD
and should be accepted as such among all those involved in the sport."

I would ask G. Barrett to weigh in with his thoughts, but I have noticed a
reluctance on the part of US-based sanctioning bodies (save USAC, but they
only do it for the money) to time thrust-powered vehicles. I am guessing
here, but is part of that reluctance not having qualified tech staff to pick
over the vehicles as they do for ICE-powered vehicles?

Electric vehicles, almost as baffling, are not as scary and therefore easier
to accept. Having campaigned a jet dragster for several years and working
closely with rocket-powered teams throughout the world, I have can tell you
their desires, and passions are no less intense than any hot rodder. Most
are extremely dedicated to safety (it is their hide, after all) and a
professional approach to speed records.

I will not debate the virtues of one form of power over another -- each to
their own. DO remember, that the fraternity of ALL land speed racing started
with electric vehicles, and evolved through steam and into IC engines.
Racers
adopted whatever could get them from point A to point B in the shortest, or
fastest time and discarded the rest. For those interested in the pure form
of land speed then the machine is academic, save only that it should remain
in contact with said "land."

Since we race on Federal land, insurance is a given for I know of no federal
permit that is issued with some level of insurance. Further, having
negotiated permits for World Record events I know that when a permit is
issued the permittee is fully responsible for not only themselves, but for
the safety and welfare of any spectators. Slower vehicles do not reduce the
permit responsibilities.

As for other forms of motorsports -- NASCAR, NHRA, CART, et al -- I doubt
anyone, least of all I, would think to denigrate their respective group's
timing validity. These sanctioning bodies also look for recognition and
acceptance from outside their sport on a variety of levels . . .  just
consider the merchandising explosion.

To that end, it is my ferverent hope that commercialization NEVER comes to
Bonneville. I do consider land speed racing the last great bastion of
amateur motorsports where people come to pay homage to the heritage by being
fast. Even Andy Green, the fastest man in the world, is still unfulfilled
because his record was set at Black Rock and not on the salt.

Bonneville is the only venue on the planet to attract the racing greats from
every other form of motorsports because what is done there is special,
remembering and building on what was accomplished by others in times past.

Is an FIA record any less "official" than a SCTA/BNI or USFRA record? Of
course not. The separation comes when one seeks recognition outside one's
own lily pond. For those that care, they pursue the FIA "approvals," leaving
others to be totally delighted and self-satisfied with the glory that
arrives from the peerage.

Neither is better, only a different way of approaching the sport. We would
all do well to  respect both perspectives.

Speedy Regards,

LandSpeed Louise Ann Noeth
Storyteller

LandSpeed Productions
Words / Pictures / Graphics / PR
"Against the ruin of the world,
there is only one defense -- the creative act!"