Re: Turbo's And Power Brakes

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Turbo's And Power Brakes
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 08:46:02 -0500
Tim,

   I've never heard it mentioned as a concern before, so it must not be a
very big problem.  We added turbo's to lots of Japanese & German cars (all
of which were rotary engined and had vacuum brake boosters) and never had
any trouble.  I suspect that the check valve in the vacuum supply system to
the brake booster has a lot to do with this since it would maintain the
vacuum in the booster during turbo boost operation, just like it maintains
vacuum after you shut the engine off.  As long as you aren't standing on the
throttle and trying to make multiple stops you oughto be OK.  Although I
don't have a turbo, I come pretty close to the WOT acceleration WHILE
repeatedly doing hard braking at autocross events (some through the pit area
at Maxton!) with left foot braking and heel/toe downshifting.  Though not in
a positive pressure condition, this oughto keep a vacuum gage at zero, and I
still have all the brake assist I need.

   You'll have the vacuum built back up between the time you lift off the
throttle and feel the tug from the parachute anyway.

Chuck "Thoroughly testing brakes at Maxton" Rothfuss
Pole Cat Hollow, NC