Re: C Motor SO, WHATS AMATTA HERE?

To: lsr_man@yahoo.com, land-speed@autox.team.net, av8ford@volcano.net,
Subject: Re: C Motor SO, WHATS AMATTA HERE?
From: "joe boogie" <boogiewoogie12@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 13:03:12 PST
   ...just my two cents fellas,  but when I fired up ol' boogiewoogie for
the first time with all settings as they should be, she acted lean as hell
too!  the headers were so hot you could almost see through them!!!  BW's
motor?  a.040 over early small journal 327 with about 10.25-1 compression, a
lumpity 286degree .490 lift hydraulic Comp Cam, and ported heads, -started
for the first time on the center rottenchester carb of a 3 deuce setup.
When the thing cooled enough to look at it,  I pulled the plugs thinking
awful "LEAN" and they were coated with sooty flat black blackie carbon.....

She's been that way ever since too, even though I've played and played with
the jetting!  Got 14,000 miles onnit that way, she runs real good, and gets
15-17 mpg on the road WITHOUT O.D. -with a 3.5-1 rear gear.....Go  figure.
Even on the hot interstate for hours on end during the long trek to
Bonneville and back from New Yawk in August '98 the plugs never really got
to lookin' as "LEAN" as I would have liked them...dam tree duces annyways"
HUH boys ?

        I've been thinkin' ever since startup, that all that initial heat on
the headers was a brandy new motor "feelin' it's pain"  whilst breakin'
in....I got no other explanation  for it.
        I do remember having to use a huge industrial fan I had at my
disposal to keep'er cool enough to run for my first 1/2 hour break-in
(sitting stationary in the garage)  She definitely was HOT at the headers
while temp read 210 at the gauge.  After 3 or 4 run ins she eventually
"Cooled down" at the headers.   Never noticed it like that before with any
other motors I ever built.
Thought it was kind'a strange then, an' still do.  Dat's m' story an' I'm
stickin toit.

           -Doug Anderson, in exile in New Yawk...you know the rest.