Re: Attracting new comers/ Classes

To: jkamo@rapidnet.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Attracting new comers/ Classes
From: FastmetalBDF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 01:21:02 EDT
       Joe,   I find a lot of wisdom in your words ......  the large variety
of classes in LSR racing allows people with differing levels of skill in
vehicle construction,
people with different racing budgets, and people with different backgrounds
in
previous racing efforts, i.e ;  dragging / oval track / road racing / hill
climbing /
motocross / autocross, and even some who have been involved in racing boats
and airplanes, to find a class where they feel their talents and creativity
will be best rewarded, and this veritable mixed salad of car and motorcycle
classes ensures that the  "cookie cutter " cars  that are so prevalent
nowadays
in both drag racing, and within many levels of oval track competition, will
not
come to be the status quo on the salt, at the lakes, or on that concrete strip
at Maxton .   Attempting to combine a number of these classes to reduce the
overall number would unfairly handicap many of these vehicles, both two wheel
and four wheel, and might end up creating an endless source of bickering and
hassles .   Generally speaking , normally aspirated engines running in the
same class as blown / turboed ones, is not what could be considered a level
playing field,
any more than gas powered entries vs. those on fuel, altereds running against
chopped , bellypanned comp. coupes ........or roadsters, street roadsters,
and modified roadsters having to slug it out with each other .   I cannot
envision any fair way ...... to ALL the competing entries ....... for them to
race without this broad range of catagories that does level the playing field
in each class very nicely .
     The only variable factor for each team then would seem to be the building
and engine tuning skills, experience acquired in past racing efforts, and, as
always, the amount of finances available to buy the bulletproof components
that
can often spell the difference between a fairly good run, a DNF, and a record
setting
all out blast .   Most of us are familiar with the often quoted sign that was
over the door to Banjo Matthews' speedshop :  " Speed costs money ....... how
fast do
YOU  want to go ? "      A reality of all forms of racing, I believe !
      I agree with you, Joe ...... let's keep the class structure basically
where it is right now,  try to keep the differences in regulations among the
SCTA,  ECTA  and
USFRA  to a manageable minimum, and let each person find the niche that
suits him / her the best ........ and start planning / building / buying /
dreaming
toward the day they roll into the staging lanes in their chosen creation
and join the ranks of land speed racers living life in the fast lane !!!
      Just my thoughts ...... but pretty much in synch with yours, Joe .......
                  Bruce   ...... back east in pleasantly cool Connecticut