Re: Attracting new comers/ Classes

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Attracting new comers/ Classes
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 23:14:33 -0400
Jon,

   Strange as it may seem, some of us are just out to have FUN playing with
cars.  I get about 90% of my thrill out of racing at Maxton before I ever
put the car on the trailer. Building something that operates the way you
expect, and maybe goes just a little faster than it went last time out is
where I get my satisfaction.  My biggest "competition" lately seems to be
the air I'm trying to shove my little brick through.  I made more than 20
passes at the May Maxton meet, set no new records and had a fantastic time.
The car ran perfectly, and the only thing that put me on the trailer was a
punctured tire.  If LSR wearn't fun I'd still be tearing around autocross
courses, stuck in a single class, spending most of my race budget on tires,
and trying not to get lost in a sea of orange cones. (I honestly don't miss
that a bit!)

   A wide range of classes makes it possible for the average Joe/Jane to
take whatever they're able to find/afford and build something that they can
race.  That gets them their first exposure to LSR from the drivers seat.
That seems to be the moment that the hook is set, and they become lifelong
LSR enthusiasts.  It might be interesting to see what the fastest folks in
LSR today were driving on their first pass down the salt.  Bet there's lots
of variety there.

Chuck Rothfuss
Reformed cone rocker
Down East