OCCUPATIONS

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: OCCUPATIONS
From: "Rick Byrnes" <rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 14:40:24 -0500
Well, I guess its my turn to write more.  Many have read my introduction, so
know I race the Merkur XR4Ti.
Many of the writings so far sure do humble me.  We are certainly in good
company and I am honored to be included in the LSR community.

I am 57 years old, born and raised in Dearborn, Michigan.  Went to historic
Fordson High School, and entered the Army because I had no real direction in
my life.  I wasn't a wild kid, into music and wrestling (the real sport) but
the army had me from 61 till 64.  I missed Nam, but not by much.  I was one
of those personnel guys that put the best mechanic in the mess hall and the
gourmet cook in the armory.  My dad was a Ford guy, in charge of the
experimental paint shop and I did learn to paint as a high schooler, but was
never too good at it.  He was also into midgets in the 40's and I remember
as a little boy sitting in the cockpit while they worked on the car.
I married Glenys, one of my sisters friends in 1963.  We are still together,
and I am blessed that she encourages me to do this LSR stuff  and actually
comes with me.  She is not a racer.   We have 3 grown children.  Rich Jr 36,
a business graduate now with Ford.  Jim, 34, who some of you have met on the
salt, who is a stock broker at TD Waterhouse, and Mary, our baby, who just
got married at 27.  (yeah this was an expensive year).  She is currently
working on her 4th degree, a masters in Urban Planning.  I think she and her
husband are professional college students.

After military I drifted around different jobs and attended Wayne State
Univ. in Detroit.  (I did not finish).  I was hired into Ford in 69 at what
was then called Engine and Foundry Division, and proceeded thru a series of
technician jobs that included the Gas Turbine that Ford was trying to put
into production in 73.  It actually was for a short while.
I started doing engineering work in 85 and left Ford (retired) in Feb 2000,
after finally getting a real title.  (no money, just a title)  They called
me a Subject Matter Expert (SME) which really just meant that after all
those years as a component design engineer, I knew almost everyone that knew
anything and could get them to work on a problem.  (lots of BS)
I actually did no active organized racing till I got involved with Tom
Reider and Mel Wallace in an 84 T Bird 4 cyl Drag car.  We won class at Indy
in 86, and set several NHRA & IHRA records.  I had always been intrigued by
Bonneville but had never ventured to the salt.  Mel came in one day and
said hey they made a class for supercharged production cars, why dont you go
out and check it out.  I did and I'm hooked.  I went back home and tried to
convince Reider to put his 84 bird on the salt but he wouldn't , but
suggested that he would help me with a car.  He is Reider Racing Ent, and
Precision Gear.  I began building the Merk in 88 and was on the salt in 91.
We set a record that first year but had it bumped up two days later.  Felt
pretty good about it though.
Having some health problems in 97 thru 99, many of you didn't hear from or
of me, but I am well again....(I WON)
I am rebuilding again for next year with the XR4Ti, but it is for sale or
trade. (12K roller?)  I want to go faster and see that as being in a
lakester and/or streamliner.  I have begun a search for some sponsorship,
($$$) but you all know how hard that is.  Actually I have been pretty lucky
and blessed with some sponsorship most years.
My future in LSR (if there is) will include objectives of 300+ with a 4
cylinder engine.  It is mighty lofty, but, then no one thought I would go
208 with a 4 cyl production car.  We shall see.  I am presently looking for
a usable back motor digger with around a180" wb that will be a suitable
building project.  Or an existing liner...  (I can't afford Joe Laws car)
I intend on running again at Maxton.  Its only a two day tow for me, not 4
days like the salt.  I do need to take out a bunch of ballast though.
Glenys retired this Sept from UAL, and we have scheduled lots of travel.
Got to make up for those years at home putting 3 thru university.  We have a
month long Africa trip planned for April and a Malta trip for Oct.  Just
time in between to race.  I need to be more ready though.  Once I got in the
2 club,  the urgency seemed to go away.  I want to get Jim in the books
again before the Merkur is retired., and I want to go faster......

I GOTS TO RACE

Rick Byrnes
We have enough youth...........How about a fountain of smart
www.rbmotorsports.com