Occupations

To: LAND-SPEED <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Occupations
From: DOUG ODOM <popms@thegrid.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:15:52 -0800
Doug Odom: Born 4-12-41 in Watertown, S.D. Came to Los Angeles as a
baby. Started my love affair with race cars going to the midget races
with my parents. Right after the war they were a big thing in LA. Went
to San Fernando high school. The Drag strip was just a short way up the
road. Saw the first 150 MPH drag race ever there. Joined the navy in
59-63. Started road racing an MGA in SCCA in 63. Changed over to stock
cars in 64. You got to race every weekend and you could make a little
money back. Went to work for Carrol Shelby in 65. I got to drive cobras
around and got paid for it. When Ford pulled out of Shelbys when to work
for a Chrysler Dealer. Raced Stock cars and built cars for other guys.
In 1976 moved to Arroyo Grande to build and crew chief A NASCAR winston
west team for Bill Baker. We came close to winning a couple of races but
never did. In 1980 Bill had a heart attack and died while we were at
Sears Point Raceway. I did work for a couple of other wins ton west
teams after that but my heart wasn't really in it. In 93 got interested
in Bonneville. Built the sprite and took it to the salt in 95. Sofar we
have one record at Bonneville, one at El Mirage and two at Muroc.
        Over the years I have fortunate to have built cars and crewed for
drivers Like Benny Parsons, Ray Elder (6 times winston west champion).
The people in motorsports are what makes it so special.
                        Doug in big ditch