Re: shaving tires

To: LSR <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: shaving tires
From: Henry Deaton <hdeaton@verio.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 13:40:56 -0800
What about using a Pirelli 130/70 ZR 16 front tire on the rear of your
Sportster? Of course you'd still need to do something about the front,
probably shaving a V-rated 19" tire.

I've been looking at the tire rules and it looks like I'll be able to use
standard Z-rated tires on my bike, which should run about 175 mph once I
get it sorted out. But I'm wondering what guys like Rick are doing when
they run in the low 200's? You can bump a V-rated tire up 50 mph by shaving
it, but not Z-rated tires.

The rule book also mentions road race branded tires. I just assumed they
were talking about racing slicks, but would it also include some dot-tires
that are designed for street racing classes?

Also, what if you're running Z-rated tires and manage to get into the low
200's. Are you automatically disqualified for not having properly rated
tires, or is there some leaway in the interpretation of this rule?

Oh yeah, have a great holiday everyone! Just got back from a nice walk in
the neighborhood here in hazy but sunny low-60's San Francisco.

Henry Deaton