Arduns Big and Little

To: land-speed@autox.team.net, bigsid@webtv.net, bk185@lafn.org (marco),
Subject: Arduns Big and Little
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 10:21:34 -0500 (EST)
Hi Folks, since Ardun Doug asked for it, following is part of the
Interview I did with Zora Arkus-Duntov a few years ago at Corvettes at
Carlisle, PA.

"Q. How many sets of Ardun heads were made, and in what years were they
available?

A. About 300 sets were made and sold in the 1949-1952 period, mostly to
the U.S. market, but a few elsewhere.  Some sets went to racers in South
America.   You know I also designed and made, at the request of some
people interested in Midget racing in this country, 30 sets of racing
Ardun heads for the Ford V8 60.  These were similar hemispherical OHV
conversions, but the design differed a little.  Their castings were made
in England, but I arranged their machining in Germany, and had them
available for sale in early 1950.  But this proved to be a very small
market."

I want to mention that Cotton Werksman wrote an extremely comprehensive,
well-illustrated article "Ardun V8-60 Heads" which appeared in the
February 1979 number of Street Rodder.  It is readily available now
reprinted in Robert J. Whitehead's collection "Ardun Dream Book" for $29
pp from Robert at 7 Robin Lane, Bella Vista, AR 72715

In looking at the clear illustrations in the above article, I don't see
any "Made in Germany" cast on the rocker covers, but with prototypes,
etc, anything is possible.  Obviously, Zora was a very busy guy in the
late '40s, running back and forth to England and Germany, designing his
Arduns, and co-ordinating their manufacture and sales.  His efforts have
given much pleasure to many, ever since.  Not just on the Arduns, but
all the Corvettes which bear his imprint.

Yours for more and better Ardunology, Ardun Bill in the Great Dismal
Swamp, Chesapeake, VA