Re: Additives

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Additives
From: Chuck Rothfuss <crothfuss@coastalnet.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:55:59 -0500
Tim, List,

   Mazda and Racing Beat say the same thing about the break-in of rotaries.
(yeah, I know...who cares!)

   Now I've gotto make a confession (with the correct subject title yet!)
about additives.  A couple years ago while I was driving Betsy (my 30 year
old, $50 Datsun 510 4 door) 70+ miles daily to work I noticed she was
smoking like mad and using lots of oil.  I tried the usual cure (20W50) but
it didn't seem to help.  Valve seals maybe, along with the "low friction"
(meaning barely touching the cylinder walls) rings.  In a $50 car I sure
wasn't up to doing any real maintenance, so to keep some lube on the
dipstick I started trying various motor treatments.  Thick slop, smelly
stuff, you name it.  Nothing helped.  I went to straight 30 weight for
several oil changes, and was beginning to get embarassing comments at work
about my "classic" car.  I was about to resort to the 3000 mile oil change
ritual I used to use on my truck, where I'd change the oil on the other cars
and pour it into the truck.

   Finally in despiration, I dug out a dusty bottle of Wynn's Friction
Reducer that a neighbor had given me when he made an overseas move.  I
figured I couldn't go wrong with this stuff, and the price was right.  Since
nothing else had worked I had no expectations whatsoever that this thin
wimpy looking stuff would make even the slightest difference.  All I wanted
it to do was keep something wet touching the end of the dipstick.  Within a
couple days I noticed that the smoke from the tail pipe was gone.
   Panic quickly set in as I realized that in this car that could've meant
that all the oil was GONE!  To my surprise the oil was still right at the
level it had been when I added the stuff.  I kept a close eye on it til way
past the next oil change interval, not wanting to flush this miracle juice
out of the crankcase and have the smoke return. That's when I really got a
surprise.  The smoke and oil consumption didn't return on the next oil
change and haven't come back in two years of subsequent oil changes. (Back
to 10W30 now!)

   What it did exactly I can only speculate on, and I really don't care.  It
certainly improved my quality of life, and may do the same for many with
worn out shop trucks or tow vehicles that are past their prime.  I've no
financial stock in the company and don't even know if the stuff is still
available.  I provide this only as an illustration that there are places
where additives are helpful and cost effective.

"Cheap Chuck" Rothfuss
Pole Cat Hollow, NC