Re: Additives

To: John Beckett <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Additives
From: DOUG ODOM <popms@thegrid.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 18:59:35 -0800
John; I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer about oil or rings so
I'm going to tell you what I believe to be the facts. If some one on the
list wants to correct me I will be very happy to learn where I'm
wrong.    So here goes.   I have been building race, high performance,
and street motors since the early 60's. What I have learned from the
trade publications and the seminars at the PRI show and SEMA show is
that the manufactures have changed the way they manufacture rings. They
are made to run in the new oils that we use today. If you can find an
old can of oil around ( for the young people on the list, oil used to
come in cans, and 24 to a case ) you will see that the rating was one of
the following DL for diesel light,DM diesel medimum,DS diesel sever or
ML motor light,MM motor medium,MS motor sever. Then they changed the
rating system to the API service rating about 15 or 20 years ago. Now
you have an S flow by a second letter that shows the anti scuffing, anti
foaming additives that are in the oil. The farther down the alphabet,
the better the oil. example SA is sewing machine oil and SJ is about the
newest stuff I have around here. So if your motor calls for SF oil you
can use SF or SG or SH or SJ.
        We also have changed the way we hone the cylinders for the new rings
but that's another story.      Doug Odom in big ditch