Re: LSR records

To: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Subject: Re: LSR records
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:33:48 -0600
HEY NOW THERE IS A THOUGHT..... D Fuel Motor with Stainless Valves and Cast
Iron Heads... stock steel crank and an Factory Block.... 8950rpm on Will
Handzel's ECTA two Club Pass...... and yes the term OUCH comes to mind... (
but we got away with it ... That Time)

hey it was my history.... it's NOT a Two Club record at Bonneville.... and
That is my personal Goal.... I don't care about anything else... it's about
performing better then Anyone else has ever done on that piece of real
estate.....

Butttttt  as I sit and think of it... It's my opinion that there is room
for recognizing the efforts that never got to Bonneville and went fast...
other places.... again they sure aren't going to get in the Bonneville Two
Club as a result... ( this is where they Cheapened the Two club by allowing
off course excursions into it )( again that is my Personal opinion... which
I have many.. very few are valid.. but it's what makes us different)

Obviously just kidding about the Tach part.... but it was again food for
thought......K
----------
> From: Thomas E. Bryant <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
> To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
> Cc: land-speed@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: LSR records
> Date: Tuesday, January 30, 2001 10:25 AM
>
> Keith while we are at it, could we include tach readings. Geez, I worked
> so hard and so long to get my first Bonneville record in
> 1965.(qualified, then ran two-ways) I cared not what they called it, it
> was mine and I had topped my peers to get it. Since that time my car has
> set many records, some easily and some with great difficulty and
> expense.
>
> I still don't care what the records are called, to me they are
> challenging and fleeting, something to be achieved and lost, a barometer
> of performance, call them what you will they are still records.
>
> I don't believe that you can fairly compare records set on different
> real estate. Conditions vary enough from day to day on the same turf.
> Bonneville is 4300 ft altitude, I think that Lake Gardiner is roughly
> sea level, both El Mirage and Muroc are about 2600 ft. elevation,
> records at the lakes are one-way(it should be noted that many of these
> records were set with tail winds (El Mirage HP) so we are comparing
> "apples & oranges". All of this makes for a good discussion, but I don't
> think you can produce an umbrella that will adequately cover all the
> various circumstances by which the records are set. My two cents worth!
>
> Tom, just happy to set any record, _ #216 D/GCC
>
> Keith Turk wrote:
> >
> > As I said in the beginning of this .... the biggest thing we all have
to do
> > is keep an open mind.... not Wrap ourselves around a Particular
> > organizations Flag...
> >
> > Louise... I know your Personal Feelings about all of this.... and I
thought
> > you truly did keep an Open mind in your statements.... Dave said
> > something's that made some sense also... as well as Howard.... Joe and
> > Jon.... Well you can only do so much with them Two...( geez I love
beating
> > them up... you get Two for the Price of one!!! )
> >
> > Lets take a second look at what we all really might be saying... Maybe
> > there needs to be an organization that recognizes and Organizes efforts
> > that can give us a Simultaneous set of records..... Maybe the Exit
Speed on
> > a Single Pass at Bonneville could be used? as the All time Fastest in a
> > particular Class.... it's not an endurance record... it's a TOP SPEED
> > record... and maybe we could further define this organizations
structure to
> > allow Classes not currently recognized by the SCTA..... ( Rocket
Bikes?)(