Re: LSR records

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: LSR records
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 12:02:14 EST
In a message dated 01/30/2001 8:31:02 AM Pacific Standard Time,
saltracer@awwwsome.com writes:

<<
 Keith while we are at it, could we include tach readings. Geez, I worked
 so hard and so long to get my first Bonneville record in
 1965.(qualified, then ran two-ways) I cared not what they called it, it
 was mine and I had topped my peers to get it. Since that time my car has
 set many records, some easily and some with great difficulty and
 expense.

 I still don't care what the records are called, to me they are
 challenging and fleeting, something to be achieved and lost, a barometer
 of performance, call them what you will they are still records.

 I don't believe that you can fairly compare records set on different
 real estate. Conditions vary enough from day to day on the same turf.
 Bonneville is 4300 ft altitude, I think that Lake Gardiner is roughly
 sea level, both El Mirage and Muroc are about 2600 ft. elevation,
 records at the lakes are one-way(it should be noted that many of these
 records were set with tail winds (El Mirage HP) so we are comparing
 "apples & oranges". All of this makes for a good discussion, but I don't
 think you can produce an umbrella that will adequately cover all the
 various circumstances by which the records are set. My two cents worth!

 Tom, just happy to set any record, _ #216 D/GCC

Right-on Tom....................Ardun Doug King