Re: one offs

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>, <ARDUNDOUG@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: one offs
From: Wester S Potter <wspotter@jps.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 15:23:53 -0700
More on one off's...

Then there's Brett Harris (never heard of him?)... showed up on Saturday
morning in 1994, made his licensing runs, ran later that afternoon on a
record qualifying run and backed it up for a J/BGS record of 220.932 before
we quit racing that day to earn his red hat.  His dad, Jack Harris, had set
a record with their 'liner and then bumped it up at the same meet that Brett
ran in.  Had their spare motor in the snowmobile on top of the rack on their
push truck.  Fastest car on the salt that you start with a rope.  Later sold
the 'liner (originally built by Gene Burkland for Nick May) to Wade
Zimmerman of Jaz Products.

Two of the Nish boys haven't spent tons of time on the salt either but
they're part of the four Nish family members in the 300 MPH chapter of the
Two Club.

Does total time on the salt qualify one to be a record holder?  If that were
the case there are several guys who bring a car every year and just sit and
bench race after a cursory couple of runs who should qualify.

Some of these "celebrity" racers are people with very busy schedules who
happen to be major sponsors or they drive for people with a point to prove.
They are people who have to schedule far in advance to be there.  It's hard
to see them come in and go home with a red hat for those who spend years and
years chasing their own dreams.  The point is, they also love the sport and
no one has gone faster than they have.  Bobby Unser was running on a "soft
record" but he exceeded the 2 Club minimum and then actually went faster in
D/GMR than the C/GMR record before he quit.  Like Keith and his Hot Rod
Magazine buddy, Will, there are many reasons why they are there and driving.

Don't be surprised to see several more in the next few years as the sport
gets some additional exposure.

Wes