Re: one offs

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: one offs
From: ARDUNDOUG@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 13:49:19 EDT
In a message dated 4/15/2001 10:05:25 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
paul.blandavon@btinternet.com writes:

> All, further to my question about Don Garlits a couple of weeks ago, do any
> of
> you know of any drivers  that came from outside lsr and drove in just one or
> two meetings, say drivers from other types of motor sport or even people
> that
> hadn't raced anything before perhaps film types or whatever, no real reason
> for asking just interested,
> Paul.

Paul,
       Bobby Unser comes to mind first. Several years ago (1993) he did a
"rent-a-ride" in Benhams Modified Roadster with a "D", gas burning SBC
prepared by some "big-name" engine builder. That was his only appearance at a
LSR meet that I know of.
       A few years later GoodGuys Street Rod Assn. owner Gary Meadors showed
up at Speed Week in a brand new fire suit, made a couple of licensing passes
in the Dozier-Hegarty XXO liner, made a record pass or two or three, got his
hat, stepped back into his shiny new motor home, and hasn't been seen at the
salt since. I understand that the ride was in exchange for an Art Himzel
paint job on the liner.
       Boy, I went at it from the wrong knuckle-busting angle for many years.
Those guys really knew what they were doing. I had never seen either of them
on the salt before their record year(s) and haven't seen either of them there
since.
       They ought to have an asterisk next to their names for doing things
the smart way, right Howard..........Ardun Doug King