Flathead ignition quirks..

To: "land- speed list" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Flathead ignition quirks..
From: "scott" <saltrunner@montana.com>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 20:36:26 -0600
Hi list,  consider the following scenario. I just rebuilt a late flathead v8,
and am trying to final tune it. its basically stock with a stock distributor,
rochester 2-jet carb,and 6-volt system. It starts and runs great! I timed it
strait up on the mark, but when i hook up the vacuum line, it almost kills the
motor and runs terrible. It acts like its pullin too much vacuum, cause if i
pinch the hose it smooths out. Is it supposed to hook up to manifold vacuum,
or a less amount? Or is my dist. wore out? The advance mechanism is intact and
seems to work. What am i missing? I havent worked on one of these in 10 years,
but i dont remember havin this problem before. somethin silly im sure. Thanks
for your input......  Scott