Re: Fuel Systems

To: John Beckett <landspeedracer@email.msn.com>
Subject: Re: Fuel Systems
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 09:48:50 -0700
John,
Since I am a injector user, I feel the need to respond to your question.
The last carburetors that I ran were Stromberg "97s" and I don't have a
clue as to the cfms. It goes without comment that carburetors have
greatly improved in the last forty years (it has been that long since I
chose to go with the injectors.) If you discount the electronics,
injection hasn't changed much during that time, except for getting
larger in cfms.  I do believe that there are advantages and
disadvantages to either system. Most probably choose injectors because
of convienent jetting and changing of fuels.

It appears that there is a belief that there is HP in manifolds,   for I
see more systems all the time where injectors are set on top of a custom
manifold. This also gets rid of a couple of the weaknesses in older
injection systems, a restricted nozzle or unbalanced air intake to the
cylinders  causing a  burned piston, or at least loss of performance.
With the carburetor system, velocity is key. Fuel delivery is heavily
dependent on the proper cfms for the engine, particularly at the lower
rpms. I suspect that either system's need for cfms is controlled by the
cylinder heads at top rpm. I run the 2 1/2" Crower injectors which give
the engine an abundance of available cfms, but as someone has already
said, regardless of the system the engine only uses the cfms it needs.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC