Re: Lenco trans for LSR?

To: "David Freiburger" <FreiburD@emapUSA.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lenco trans for LSR?
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 19:13:52 -0700
Dave,
clutchless shifting? Don't you have to have either a sprint car type
coupler, a regular clutch, or a torque converter to handle the in gear out
of gear, nuetral, coast issues anyway? As to rotating mass, every gear in a
6 speed is rotating at the same time, so I don't see too much difference in
rotating mass. There are clutches inside which might slip though? Plus,
don't you have to have a tranny blanket with planetary trans? Not with
regular trans. I think they look cool, and would like to see some different
innovation along these lines...

mayf, the ignorant desert rat and owner of the world's fastest Sunbeam
wannabie....

 Subject: Lenco trans for LSR?

> I've been copied on some messages from the list for a while, but now I've
officially signed up at my direct e-mail address rather than through Rod &
Custom.

> Anyway, here's the deal. Keith Turk and I have been back and forth on this
one, so what do you think: is a Lenco appropriate for LSR? You can put
together a five or six-speed with nearly any combination of ratios. I say
that the instant, cluchless shifting will save valuable ground. Keith thinks
the rotating mass of all those planetaries could suck too much power. I'm
thinking of using one in a '79 Trans Am with a big-block for A/GC, A/GALT,
and A/FALT.