FW: Inverters?

To: "LSR list \(E-mail\)" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Inverters?
From: "Jon Wennerberg" <jonw@up.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 09:47:15 -0400
Now that you mention it, ham radio operators for years have re-farbulated
the alternators on their auto engines to enable them to make about 115 volts
or so.  The frequency not 60 Hz - quite a bit higher, but it's still 115 VAC
and it worked okay through the transformers the hams needed to get the high
voltage for the tubes in the radios.

As I remember (never did it, only read it once or twice) the windings were
not altered, so the 70-amp alternator still made 70, but now at a higher
voltage, so you'd end up with something on the order of 8 kw available.
Don't forget, of course, that you still had to put in 8 kw worth of
horsepower, so make sure your belts are good.

Jon, neither a Bob nor a Doug