RE: Ballast

To: land speed <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Ballast
From: "Smith, Simon-Pierre" <Simon-Pierre.Smith@PSS.Boeing.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 11:06:06 -0700
Seems to me that for every pound of downforce you get from your exhaust, you
get that much times your coefficient of friction out of your tires.  On salt
you'd be better off pointing the exhaust back so you get pure thrust.  Remember
that the thrust doesn't go through the wheels so it is not traction dependent.
At Maxton I'd figure you can get a friction coeff above 1 so it might be
worthwhile pointing it up.
One other point, if the exhaust is pointed up and is aft of the rear axle it
will lighten the front wheels.  This will give it a greater effective downforce
on a rear wheel drive car.  Hard to make up for a coefficient of friction of
about .5 though.

Simon-Pierre Smith