An Odd Question...

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: An Odd Question...
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 12:14:12 -0700
Whenever I come back from the races, I always get an odd thought in my head.
This time it is a rules type question in a class that I will never compete
in. It has to do with watching NTIII and Flatfire racing against each other.
I am browsing the rule book and the program guide and it says both are in
XF/BGS class. I then read the XF engine rules and it of course explicitly
states that the engines must be of the vintage nature. Then it very
explicitly states that any modifications must be simple in nature. Oh? I
remember the Flatfire engine articles where the engine modifications were
truly monstrous in nature (ie machining out the valley of the flathead,
building a new and completely different valley which lets the exhaust come
out the top of the engine, and welding allof this in place). So what part of
"simple" and in keeping with the spirit of the times of the the flatheads,
is this? Does the term "simple" mean in the saying or doing? Such as "let's
go to the Moon" which is a simple statement but really really compex like
the flatfire motor. Just an odd thought.

mayf, the red necked ignorant desert rat in Pahrump.